Jogger slams into windscreen and survives

This article is more than 12 months old

Driver had lost control of car in Ang Mo Kio crash

He hit the windscreen so hard it shattered.

Factory worker Osman Jaafar, 50, was then propelled several metres forward.

But this lucky man managed to survive with minor injuries despite being hit by an out-of-control car.

Mr Osman was out for his daily jog around the Ang Mo Kio neighbourhood at about 5am last Sunday.

But at 5.50am, Mr Osman's routine was shattered when he was hit by a car near Block 632 at Ang Mo Kio Street 61.

A black hatchback had gone up the kerb, hitting him before colliding with a tree about 10m from the road.

The car's bonnet was crumpled from the impact, its left tyre had come loose and the windshield was smashed.

A resident, Mr Chong Nee Sun, told Shin Min Daily News that the driver of the car had suddenly lost control while negotiating the sharp turn near Block 632.

After hitting Mr Osman, the car continued up a small slope before smashing into a tree.

A deliveryman, Mr Juffrey, 26, who saw the incident, told the newspaper that the pedestrian was hit from behind.

He said: "He fell on the front windshield and was thrown a few metres before landing on the ground."

Miraculously, Mr Osman was not seriously hurt and managed to make his way to a nearby coffee shop.


He looked shaken and could not remember what had happened.

A retiree who wanted to be known only as Mr Chong, 75, said some in the crowd who knew him from his morning jogs, were worried and called his family.

Although he was not severely injured, Mr Osman was traumatised and cried when his niece, Miss Noraini, 20, and her father arrived at the scene at about 7.30am.

She told The New Paper: "My uncle is intellectually challenged and when he saw me, he hugged me and cried."

Mr Osman was afraid to take the ambulance and declined the Singapore Civil Defence Force's offer to take him to a hospital, said Miss Noraini.

Instead, she and her father took him to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital where he was given treatment for bruises on his head and injuries to his left foot.

He was given three days of medical leave and is resting at home.

Miss Noraini said that although her uncle was distressed by the ordeal, she doubted he would stop his morning jogs.

"He's really brave," she said.

Police said the driver, who is in his 20s, was arrested for inconsiderate driving. Investigations are ongoing.

When TNP visited the site, there was still some debris strewn on the ground and marks were clearly visible on the grassy slope and tree where the accident occurred.

Residents TNP spoke to said the area was prone to accidents and that there have been five or six similar incidents recently.

Mr Chong said that he hoped the authorities would install a hump to prevent such accidents from occurring.

Speaking about the accident on Sunday, a 59-year-old resident who wanted to be known only as Mr Raz, said: "If not for the tree, the car would surely have crashed into the coffee shop.

"That would have been much worse."

- Additional reporting by Kok Yufeng

He fell on the front windshield and was thrown a few metres before landing on the ground.

- Mr Juffrey who saw the accident