Cabby arrested over road-rage slashing , Latest Singapore News - The New Paper

Cabby arrested over road-rage slashing

This article is more than 12 months old

A man was slashed across the chest with a knife in a road rage incident in Rivervale Crescent in Sengkang.

The police later arrested a suspect, believed to be a taxi driver, for the attack at a bus stop in front of Block 158C on Thursday evening.

The 21-year-old victim had confronted the cabby for honking at a car driven by his uncle, Chinese evening dailies Shin Min Daily News and Lianhe Wanbao reported yesterday.

It is believed that he was with other passengers in a black Honda when it cut into the taxi driver's lane.

BLEEDING: A 21-year-old man was attacked in Rivervale Crescent following a dispute with a taxi driver. He was helped by bystanders before the paramedics arrived. PHOTOS: STOMP

An 11-year-old boy, who saw the incident, told the Chinese newspapers that he was walking nearby when he heard the loud screeching of tyres and honking.

He saw a taxi and a car stop by the side of the road near the bus stop.


The cabby and a man from the car got out, and they started arguing and shoving each other.

The cabby suddenly went back to his taxi and reportedly pulled out a knife.

He allegedly lunged at the man with the weapon. The victim put up his hands to defend himself, but was not able to dodge the blow.

He fell to the ground, bleeding.

The boy said the taxi did not have any passengers, but the car had several people, including a small child.

The police received a call at about 8.27pm requesting help in Rivervale Crescent.

NABBED: The 59-year-old suspect.  PHOTOS: STOMP

At the scene, they established that it was a case of voluntarily causing hurt by a dangerous weapon.

"A 59-year-old man was arrested," a spokesman said.

The victim was conscious when he was taken to Changi General Hospital in a Singapore Civil Defence Force ambulance.

A 15cm blood-stained knife was recovered from a nearby drain and seized as a case exhibit.

Investigations are ongoing.

The suspect is due to be charged in court today.

If convicted of voluntarily causing hurt by a dangerous weapon, he can be jailed up to seven years, or fined or caned, or any combination of the penalties.