Five people taken to hospital after fire in HDB block in Yishun Ring Road, Latest Singapore News - The New Paper
Singapore

Five people taken to hospital after fire in HDB block in Yishun Ring Road

Five people were taken to Singapore General Hospital after a fire broke out in a fifth-storey unit in a Housing Board block in Yishun on Saturday.

The five were rescued from their bedrooms and were assessed by paramedics for smoke inhalation, with two persons also sustaining minor burn injuries, the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said in a Facebook post.

Hamsters in multiple pet cages in the unit were also rescued.

SCDF said it was alerted to the blaze in Block 451 Yishun Ring Road at about 9.50am.

The fire, which involved contents of the living room and a part of the kitchen, was extinguished with a water jet.

About 100 residents from the third to seventh floors were evacuated by the police as a precautionary measure.

Preliminary investigation indicated that the fire likely originated from the battery pack of a power assisted bicycle in the living room, SCDF said.

One should not charge these batteries for an extended period of time or overnight, or buy and use non-original types, it said.

 

[Fire @ Blk 451 Yishun Ring Road] At about 9:50 a.m., SCDF was alerted to a fire in a 5th floor unit at the...

Posted by Singapore Civil Defence Force on Friday, September 30, 2022
SCDFFIRES