Slashed to the bone, Latest Others News - The New Paper

Slashed to the bone

This article is more than 12 months old

He was a regular at Chaiyo Chaiyo Pub, a Thai nightclub in the basement of Golden Mile Complex on Beach Road.

But just after midnight yesterday, the 30-year-old man was slashed more than 10 times in the back, face, neck and abdomen by another man.

The incident took place outside the men's toilet near the pub.

The victim was coming out of the toilet when his assailant, described as well-built and about 1.75m tall, confronted him with a chopper.

A witness, who did not want to be identified, told The New Paper that the victim had several slash wounds, some so deep that his bones could be seen.

"There was so much blood dripping from him," said the witness.

"Amazingly, he was still conscious and talking to the police and the paramedics."

The police said they received a call asking for help at 12.52am.

On arrival, they found an injured man in his 30s.


The suspect, also in his 30s, was subsequently arrested.

Shin Min Daily News reported that when its team arrived at the scene, a handcuffed man wearing a black T-shirt was squatting next to a pool of blood. He claimed that he had slashed the victim in self-defence.

The manager of Chaiyo Chaiyo, who wanted to be known only as Mr Lo, 30, told Shin Min that the victim was a regular, showing up every night.

He said the suspect had been to the pub fewer than 10 times.

Mr Lo last saw both men together on Monday at around 10pm but he said the two did not talk to each other.

By the time he was aware of the attack and rushed to the scene, the suspect had already been handcuffed.

He was "calm and not struggling" when he was taken to a police car.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) sent an ambulance to Golden Mile Complex.The victim, who had multiple wounds but was conscious, was taken to Tan Tock Seng Hospital, an SCDF spokesman said.

The police, who are investigating the matter, said the suspect will be charged for voluntarily causing grievous hurt with a dangerous weapon.

If convicted, he can be jailed for life or up to 15 years and fined or caned.

- Additional reporting by Judith Tan

There was so much blood dripping from him. Amazingly, he was still conscious and talking to the police and the paramedics.

- A witness who did not want to be identified