Newcastle's new owners sack Bruce after one game under new regime
Steve Bruce has left his position as Newcastle United manager by mutual consent, the English Premier League team said in a statement on Wednesday (Oct 20), two weeks after they were taken over by a Saudi Arabian-backed consortium.
“#NUFC can confirm that Steve Bruce has left his position as head coach by mutual consent. The club would like to place on record its gratitude to Steve for his contribution and wishes him well for the future.”
Bruce had said following the change of ownership that he would understand if he was replaced but he was allowed to take charge of the 1,000th match in his managerial career when Newcastle hosted Tottenham Hotspur in the league, losing 3-2 on Sunday (Oct 17).
The signs were ominous, however, with the club’s new director Amanda Staveley saying “change does not always happen overnight”.
“I am grateful to everyone connected with Newcastle United for the opportunity to manage this unique football club,” Bruce said in a club statement.
“I would like to thank my coaching team, the players and the support staff in particular for all their hard work. There have been highs and lows, but they have given everything even in difficult moments and should be proud of their efforts.”
Bruce will reportedly pocket an £8 million (S$14.8m) severance pay-off.
Newcastle said Graeme Jones will lead the team on an interim basis, starting with Saturday’s trip to Crystal Palace, and will be supported by the coaching team of Steve Agnew, Stephen Clemence, Ben Dawson and Simon Smith.
The Times reported earlier this week that Belgium coach Roberto Martinez, Rangers' Steven Gerrard and Villarreal manager Unai Emery are featuring prominently on the new owners' shortlist. Other names such as former Borussia Dortmund coach Lucien Favre have also been linked to the job. – REUTERS