Girl, 17, raped, then killed , Latest World News - The New Paper

Girl, 17, raped, then killed

This article is more than 12 months old

Student found semi-nude in pool of blood and with throat slit

It was a murder most brutal.

Only a week shy of her SPM examination (equivalent of O levels), a 17-year-old girl was allegedly raped and her throat slit by a school security guard, who was believed to be her boyfriend.

Intan Suraya Mawardi was found semi-nude in a pool of blood on her bed in a flat in Bukit Pulau, Penang.

Police have arrested a 20-year-old, The Star reported.

The girl's body was discovered by her father, a 36-year-old customer service officer at the Penang International Airport, when he returned home from work at 6.30pm.

It is believed that the suspect raped and murdered her at about 6pm on Monday, then went home to change before clocking in at the school in Bayan Lepas where he worked.

Sources said the man went back to the crime scene at around 8pm and cried so hard that he had to be consoled by onlookers and residents.

Minutes later, he was arrested.

They also said he hid two knives, believed to be the murder weapons, wrapped in a white bloodied tudung in the school compound.

He was said to have hidden the girl's smartphone between plants inside the school compound.

After five hours of questioning, he reportedly led police to where he had hidden the knives and the victim's smartphone.

Classmate Muhd Nabil Ikhwan, 17, said Intan Suraya was a pleasant and quiet girl. He said the suspect was a former student but the two had met through a phone chat app.

A relative who declined to be named said the suspect had been harassing Intan Suraya for some time.

The parents had told him off because Intan Suraya was preparing for her SPM exams but to no avail.

The police went to his house, where they found the clothes he wore during the rape-murder.

The suspect is allegedly a drug addict and was arrested two months ago for a drug-related offence.

Deputy Superintendent Nor Salawati Saad, who was at the scene with Penang Hospital senior consultant forensic pathologist Dr Bhupinder Singh, said there were signs of a struggle in the girl's room.

"We believe the suspect was jealous that the girl had many close male friends. He has been remanded by a magistrate's court pending investigations," said Penang Criminal Investigation Department chief Senior Assistant Commissioner Zakaria Ahmad.

COURT & CRIMEmalaysiaMurderpenangstudent