M'sian boy's family killed in Bangkok blast: 'We don't know how to tell him', Latest World News - The New Paper

M'sian boy's family killed in Bangkok blast: 'We don't know how to tell him'

This article is more than 12 months old

5 members of M'sian boy's family killed in Bangkok blast

Five of his family members died in Monday's Bangkok bomb blast, but six-year-old Malaysian Lee Jian Han did not have an idea.

Nobody had the heart to tell Jian Han that his father, 35-year-old Lee Tze Siang, four-year-old sister Jing Xuan and three other family members - maternal grandmother Lim Saw Gek, 49, uncle Neoh Jai Jun, 20, and grandaunt Lim Su See, 52 - had all perished.

Madam Lim Su See was a Singapore permanent resident.

Surviving the blast were Jian Han's pregnant mother Neoh Ee Ling, 33, and his maternal grandfather Neoh Hock Guan, 55, reported The Star.

The family of seven from Penang were holidaying in Bangkok when the blast occurred, claiming 20 lives and injuring more than 120 people.

Jian Han was left at home under the care of his paternal grandfather, 51-year-old farmer Lee Tiang Heng.

"We will keep the news of my son's and granddaughter's deaths a secret," said Mr Lee.

"We don't know how to tell my grandson."

Mr Lee said his son had asked him to take care of Jian Han while he was away in Bangkok to perform prayers and buy goods for his clothing business.

"He told me that his son could not follow them to Bangkok as he had to attend kindergarten," he said.

The bodies of the younger Mr Lee, Ms Lim, Jing Xuan and Mr Neoh were flown back to Malaysia yesterday and were received by the family.

Jian Han was later seen near his father's coffin.

A funeral for Ms Lim and Mr Neoh Jai Jun will be held on Sunday.

When reporters visited the family home, Mr Neoh's eldest brother requested for privacy.

Suspects tell police they're tour guides

Two men identified as suspects in the bomb attack that killed 20 people in Bangkok said they were tour guides after handing themselves in to police, BBC reported yesterday.

Police are now questioning the pair who were seen in security camera footage shortly before the bomb went off at the Erawan Shrine.

The men, in red and white T-shirts, rose from a bench shortly before the main suspect, in yellow, sat down and left behind his backpack, according to BBC.

Earlier, police spokesman Prawut Thavornsiri said the pair may have been shielding the main suspect from passers-by.

Thai authorities said it's unlikely that international terror groups were behind the deadly bombing but appealed for Interpol help in tracking down a young "foreign" man suspected of planting the device.

Police also said the attack was carefully planned by a network of more than 10 people.

Some S'pore victims back

Four days after being caught in devastating bomb blasts that hit Bangkok on Monday, several of the Singaporean victims have returned home.

The blasts killed one Singaporean and injured another seven.

Mr Ng Su Teck, who was injured during the explosion, flew back with the body of his wife Melisa Liu Rui Chun on Wednesday night, Shin Min Daily News reported.

The New Paper understands that Mr Ng, 35, is warded at Changi General Hospital. His right leg was cut by glass shrapnel and he suffered burns to his arm.

A mother and son who were hurt in the blast have also returned home.

Lianhe Wanbao reported that Madam Michelle Heng, 58, and her son Donovan Chan, 21, flew back in an air ambulance yesterday morning.

Mr Chan suffered minor injuries.

His mother, who had inhaled too much smoke, was hooked to a ventilator on the plane as her condition had not stabilised.

"My mother has burns to her lungs and her arm is also fractured," Mr Chan told Wanbao.

Madam Heng, who still cannot speak and communicates by gesturing and writing, will be undergoing surgery.

She and Mr Chan are being treated at the Singapore General Hospital's Burn Centre.

Singaporean Wesley Ong is still in Bangkok recuperating following two five-hour operations to remove pieces of shrapnel from his body.

Mr Ong, his wife Jennifer and his sisters Betty and Jane have no immediate plans to fly home.

Bangkok blastUncategorisedmalaysiaDeath