Flaming object thrown into Ang Mo Kio hawker centre
An area the size of a football field was cordoned off for six hours in Ang Mo Kio on Tuesday after a flaming cylindrical object was tossed into the Kebun Baru Food Centre by an unidentified person, sparking panic.
The Singapore Civil Defence Force was alerted at 4.40pm, and sent a fire engine to the scene at Block 226, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1.
The fire was put out by two hawkers before firefighters arrived. No one was injured.
Police are investigating a case of mischief by fire.
The Straits Times said it understood that no arrests had been made at press time.
Lianhe Wanbao reported the object was thrown from around 50m outside the hawker centre.
At the time, stall holders were preparing for the dinner crowd when they heard a loud noise.
Seeing it land near his stall and worried that it would explode, one stall holder used a metal hook to hit it away.
The object landed under a table and had to be extinguished by two hawkers with a fire extinguisher.