Jail for woman who scalded husband for wanting divorce, Latest Singapore News - The New Paper

Jail for woman who scalded husband for wanting divorce

This article is more than 12 months old

The woman who scalded her husband with hot water because he wanted a divorce had disguised herself with a black dress and niqab – a veil with a small slit for the eyes.

Details of the incident in March were revealed in court after Rahimah Nisva pleaded guilty to assaulting her husband, a 24-year-old Malaysian man.

The 29-year-old Indonesian was sentenced to eight months’ jail on Tuesday.

Mr Muhammad Rahimi Shamir Ahmad Safuan and Rahimah, who lives in Batam, Indonesia, had tied the knot in 2019, but by December 2022, the marriage had soured as he felt she was too possessive.

Two months after she gave birth to their daughter in January 2023, he travelled from Singapore to Batam to meet with Rahimah and her mother.

Mr Rahimi broached the possibility of a divorce at the meeting on March 19, and Rahimah did not display any signs of unhappiness.

He returned to Singapore the next day. But Rahimah was not over it, and made plans to confront her husband.

Mr Muhammad Rahimi Shamir Ahmad Safuan was treated for a second-degree scald injury to his back. PHOTOS: SHIN MIN DAILY NEWS


On March 22, she travelled from Batam with a female colleague and arrived at the Singapore Cruise Centre at around 6pm.

Her colleague had no idea what she was up to, and was told the trip was for leisure, said Deputy Public Prosecutor Ong Xin Jie.

While in Singapore, Rahimah told her colleague that she needed to meet her husband and the two women stopped at a hawker centre near the man’s flat in Balam Road, which is near Circuit Road.

Rahimah told her friend to wait there, while she went to her husband’s home.

The DPP said: “The accused then changed into a black dress and donned female Muslim headgear, which left only her eyes exposed.

“She then travelled to the victim’s residence and scouted the area, as she intended to familiarise herself with the area where the victim (lived).”

After Rahimah returned to the hawker centre, the two women left to stay the night at a hotel in Geylang.

Before checking out of the hotel the next day, Rahimah filled up a flask with hot water. She told her colleague that she wanted to meet her husband before heading home.

The DPP said Rahimah then returned to Balam Road, and donned the same outfit to conceal her identity. She arrived at Mr Rahimi’s block at around 7.20am and waited at a staircase landing near his flat.

After waiting 10 minutes, she saw him leaving the unit. While Mr Rahimi was putting on his shoes, she ran towards him and splashed him with hot water, leaving him screaming in pain.

A vacuum flask, suspected to have been used in the attack, was discovered to have been discarded near the scene. PHOTO: SINGAPORE POLICE FORCE


Rahimah then ran from the block and later met up with her unsuspecting colleague. The two women boarded a ferry to Batam at the Singapore Cruise Centre at 9.30am, but did not make it far.

The victim’s relatives had alerted the police and Police Coast Guard intercepted the craft while it was in Singapore territorial waters.

The victim went to Singapore General Hospital, where he was treated for a second-degree scald injury to his back.

He was given 16 days of medical leave and follow-up appointments with an outpatient clinic..

Rahimah, who was unrepresented by a lawyer, told the court on Tuesday that she was remorseful, adding that she hopes to be reunited with the victim.

Court documents did not disclose if their divorce has been finalised.

COURT & CRIMEcrimeassault