Bouncy castle firm charged over child deaths in tragic 2021 accident in Australia, Latest World News - The New Paper
World

Bouncy castle firm charged over child deaths in tragic 2021 accident in Australia

SYDNEY – The Australian authorities charged a bouncy castle operator on Friday over a 2021 disaster in which six children were killed after strong winds lifted one of the inflatable play structures into the air.

The company, Taz-Zorb, has been charged with breaching health and safety legislation, said Ms Robyn Pearce, the work health and safety regulator in the state of Tasmania, where the tragedy occurred.

Strong winds blew a large inflatable castle into the air at an end-of-term school party in December 2021, killing six children aged between 11 and 12.

The authorities at the time said the children were thrown from a height of about 10m, citing initial witness reports.

Prosecutors filed a complaint alleging that Taz-Zorb “exposed the children to a risk of death or serious injury”, Ms Pearce said in a statement.

“Throughout the last year, I have continued to meet the families of the children who died or were injured in this incident and would again like to express my condolences to each of them,” she said.

The company can be punished with a fine of up to A$1.5 million (S$1.3 million) for the alleged offence. – AFP

AustraliaCHILDREN AND YOUTHACCIDENTS