From The New Paper to Parliament
Former TNP journalist with 20 years' experience in media industry appointed as Nominated Member of Parliament
He cut his teeth as a reporter at The New Paper more than 20 years ago.
Since then, Mr Ganesh Rajaram, 49, has risen through the ranks in the media industry.
Today, as the executive vice-president of a global media company, he helps to distribute television and digital content all over Asia.
Mr Rajaram will also represent the media industry in his coming appointment as a Nominated MP (NMP).
He was one of nine NMPs picked by a special parliamentary select committee. The announcement was made by the Office of the Clerk of Parliament on Thursday. (See report, right.)
Mr Rajaram has spent more than 20 years in the media industry, starting as a reporter upon graduation and working his way up through different job roles.
He said: "I've been there and done that, writing, chasing a scoop and producing television content. In my current role, I'm a content distributor in the region.
"I think with what I've learnt, I can bring something to the equation."
Mr Rajaram said he was humbled and honoured by the NMP appointment and never expected to "actually get it".
He added that the media fraternity approached him sometime in February about nominating him.
For six years, Mr Rajaram has also been a member of the board of directors of the Media Development Authority (MDA), which is the media regulatory statutory board.
He said that through his NMP appointment, he hopes to promote local content and find ways to give local production companies the boost they need to remain competitive.
"With the convergence of the digital world, there are challenges and opportunities. We have good quality content and producers that have values and cultures unique to Singapore," he said.
"We need to preserve this so they will not be lost."
Managing director of Ernst and Young Advisory, Mrs Mildred Tan, 57, who also sits on the MDA board, has known Mr Rajaram for more than five years. Mrs Tan, who served as an NMP from 2009 to 2011, said: "He's someone who has come from the ground and is now involved in the international (media) scene. So he knows the industry well.
"I've always respected his views, and I believe he can provide a constructive voice in Parliament."
Mr Rajaram, a former national youth hockey player, also hopes to speak up in Parliament about sports and youth.
He said: "It's a personal interest, as I have a 16-year-old son who is a footballer and I used to be a sports writer at The New Paper."
Recounting his experience at TNP, he said: "It was my first job out of university and it was a fun place to work for a young guy like me."
Some of Mr Rajaram's best memories at the paper include covering the Malaysia Cup in its heyday in 1994, and helping to locate former Czech footballer and fugitive Michal Vana in Prague after he had fled Singapore.
"Those were the highlights, but the best thing that happened at TNP was that I met my wife, who was a fellow reporter," said Mr Rajaram.
Mr Rajaram has been married to Ms Ovidia Lim, 49, for 20 years.
He added: "Every institution that I've worked at has moulded me into the person I am today.
"I believe that these experiences will contribute to (how I will serve as an NMP)."
I've been there and done that, writing, chasing a scoop and producing television content... I can bring something to the equation.
- Mr Ganesh Rajaram, on his media industry experience
5 NEW FACES IN NMP LINE-UP
A total of 41 Singaporeans had applied to become Nominated MPs.
Here are the nine who were selected by a committee chaired by Speaker of Parliament Halimah Yacob:
- Mr Azmoon Ahmad Senior vice-president of Desay SV Automotive (Global) and former chairman of the Association of Muslim Professionals
- Mr Ganesh Rajaram Executive vice-president for Asia of FremantleMedia International
- Mr Kok Heng Leun Artistic director of Dramabox
- Assistant Professor Mahdev Mohan Law professor at Singapore Management University
- Ms K. Thanaletchimi Senior assistant manager at National University Hospital and president of Healthcare Services Employees' Union
- Ms Chia Yong Yong Partner at law firm Yusarn Audrey and president of the Society for the Physically Disabled
- Mr Thomas Chua Kee Seng Chairman and managing director of Teckwah Industrial Corporation and president of the Singapore Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Ms Kuik Shiao-Yin Director and co-founder of The Thought Collective
- Associate Professor Randolph Tan Gee Kwang Labour and economics professor at Singapore Institute of Management University