Father arrested after twin boys found dead in canal, to be charged with murder, Latest Singapore News - The New Paper

Father arrested after twin boys found dead in canal, to be charged with murder

The police have arrested a 48-year-old man for his suspected involvement in the death of his two 11-year-old sons.

The twins, Ethan and Aston Yap, were said to have special needs and are believed to have been students of a school in the Eng Kong estate area.

On Friday (Jan 21), at about 6.25pm, the police received a call for assistance by the man at a playground along Greenridge Crescent.

When police officers arrived at the scene, the two boys were found lying motionless in the vicinity of the playground and were pronounced dead at scene by a paramedic.

The police followed up on all possible leads and conducted round-the-clock investigations, which eventually led to the arrest of the man.

Police said the man will be charged in court on Monday with murder.

The offence of murder carries the death penalty. Police investigations are ongoing.


After the bodies were discovered on Friday, an alert was sent out that night to taxi drivers to be on the look out for a man of unknown race, wearing grey shorts and sports shoes, and last seen at Greenridge Crescent at 3pm. 

The alert, which police confirmed came from them, has since been stood down. 

One resident, who declined to be named, said she saw officers carrying two bodies onto a vehicle at around midnight.

She added that she noticed how, a few hours before the bodies were removed, a yellow car that was parked on the road was towed away.

“It’s quite a secluded and quiet park and it’s beautiful,” she said. But she added that because of mosquitoes, her grandchildren preferred to play in a connecting park.

The playground is surrounded by landed terrace and semi-detached homes.

Bodies of the two boys were found near the Greenridge Crescent playground, on Jan 21, 2022. ST PHOTO: CHONG JUN LIANG

Residents of Eng Kong estate said the neighbourhood is peaceful and the park is usually quiet in the evening. 

One resident, who wished to be known only as Mr Raj, said he exercises frequently at the playground. 

The 57-year-old added that he saw police vans and uniformed men with red berets circling the nearby forest when he was returning home at about 10pm on Friday. He was saddened to hear the news, especially as it is nearing Chinese New Year, he said.

“I’ve been here about 25 years and it’s such a safe place for everybody. You can be here alone at night and it’s a safe place.” 

The incident on Friday had spooked residents interviewed.

A domestic worker who lives near the playground said she heard a girl shouting for help at about 6.30pm on Friday, just before the bodies were found. The helper, who declined to be named, thought it was just children playing. 

But 15 minutes later, she saw police officers in the area, and soon after, they came knocking on her door asking for information. Police and Singapore Civil Defence Force vehicles also lined the streets of the quiet neighbourhood.

Residents said police officers had approached them on Friday night to ask them if they had any closed-circuit television footage of the area.

MP for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC Sim Ann said in a Facebook post: “This is a grave tragedy, and unthinkable especially to anyone who is a parent.

“I know the news is deeply shocking and upsetting to our community.”

She urged residents to avoid speculation and to wait for official information from the police.

She added: “Our thoughts and prayers are with the family of the children who have lost their lives so tragically.”



MurdercrimeBukit Timah